How to answer the “tell me about yourself” interview question
"Tell me about yourself” and it is typically one of the first questions asked and it gives you a great opportunity to spotlight the skills and experience that make you the ideal candidate for the job.
When hiring managers pose this open-ended question, they want to see how you react to a question asked casually and without structure: this will speak to your ability to think quickly on your feet, as well as to prepare for important conversations at work.
A great answer involves the following components:
‘Who’ you are: start with an introduction to who you are professionally, an overview statement that shows off your strengths and gives a little sense of your personality too.
Provides an overview of your skills: show them what makes you unique empathizing your experience, enthusiasm, and proof of performance.
Explain: why You’re Here: tell them you want the position and why.
Now find our tips to provide your best answer:
1. Know your audience: do research about the company you are applying for
2. Tailor your answer to the role and company: you need to customize (or tailor) your response to the question to the needs of the organization.
3. Keep it professional: don't give too many personal details this isn’t the time to talk about your family and hobbies.
4. Show them that you’re passionate about your work or about this company explaining why working for this specific company appeals to you
5. Don’t regurgitate your CV
6. Format your response: there are two common formulas you may consider: Present, Past, Future and Past, Present, Future
7. Keep it Positive
Here's an example
Interviewer: "So, Roberta, tell me about yourself".
Roberta: "I moved to Dublin in 2014 and after one year I was offered a Talent Specialist position from a rent a car company. I loved working with customers, candidate and hiring managers. I worked on different projects like employer branding and candidate experience. Since being made redundant, I’ve used my time out of the workplace to really think about what I want from my next role and have also been proactively keeping up-to-date with the latest developments in the recruitment industry. This role particularly caught my attention as I’m keen to find an opportunity where I can build on my existing skill set and really help drive the business forward. I think I would be able to help you to deliver great talent and fulfill vacancies and provide a high-quality candidate experience at all times".
With advanced planning and practice “Tell me about yourself” becomes a positive and fun exercise in demonstrating your value and getting one step closer to winning that great new job!